Welcome to Kelly's Music & Computers Blog
The latest news, rumours, tips and insights into music technology from Kelly's Music & Computers!
Join one of our monthly newsletters to find out about new products, updates, sales, special promotions and more!
You can also view blog entries prior to 2011.
We've answered over 30,000 questions about music & computers - why not ask us yours?
Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Monday, July 29, 2013
The Academic Versions of Pro Tools 11, Pro Tools 11 Upgrade from LE and Pro Tools 11 Upgrade from M-Powered are all in stock.
We are often asked what the difference is between Pro Tools 11 Academic and the regular version of Pro Tools 11. The answer is simple - there are no differences! You can use Pro Tools 11 Academic however you wish as there are no restrictions on usage. You can purchase an upgrade to the next version of Pro Tools, such as Pro Tools 12 as Avid doesn’t restrict upgrades on academic versions.
Ready to buy? Just place your order on-line or by phone we will ask you to fax (1-800-868-7009) or reply to your confirmation e-mail with your proof of academic status to allow us to validate your order. Please include your order number in your fax or e-mail. You may send us a copy of your teacher or student ID, pay stub, statement of fees, or a letter on institutional letterhead indicating your status as a teacher or student. We also accept Purchase Orders for Pro Tools 11 Academic.
As always, we do our best to provide the lowest possible price while still offering the excellent service and support that we are known for. If you find a lower price on Pro Tools 11 Academic, please let us know!
Thursday, July 25, 2013
- PCIe (PCI Express) soundcard interface
- maximum 24-bit/96kHz analog input (combined microphone and line input with 1/8" connector)
- maximum 24-bit/96kHz 7.1 channel analog output (1/8" connectors)
- headphone output; 16 ~ 300 ohm impedance
- maximum 24-bit/96kHz digital input with optical TOSlink connector
- maximum 24-bit/96kHz digital output with optical TOSlink connector and internal 2-pin header, AC-3 pass through supported
- internal Intel HD Front Panel Audio standard connector
- AKM AK4358 112dB(a) DAC on 7.1 channel output
- AKM AK5358 102dB(a) ADC on analog input
- opamp swappable, equipped by default with NE5532 opamp
- DirectSound, MME, WDM, Open AL as well as EAX 1.0 / 2.0, EAX Advanced HD 3.0 / 4.0 supported
- Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP compatible
Tuesday, July 23, 2013
If space is at a premium, or if you want the ultimate in portability, consider the compact Eris E5, which takes up just 7 x 10.24 x 7.68 inches (178 x 260 x 195 mm) and weighs in at just 10.2 lbs (4.63 kg). You can shoehorn this little beauty into almost any studio space.
The E5 sports a 5.25-inch, Kevlar low-frequency driver, mated with a 45W, Class AB amplifier; and a 1-inch (25 mm), silk dome tweeter powered by a 35W, Class AB amplifier. It can crank out a clean 102 dB SPL, peak. Frequency response is rated at 53 Hz to 22 kHz. For a studio monitor in its size and price class, that’s impressive.
If you want to emulate a cheap radio, engage the Low Cut-off at 80 or 100 Hz while boosting the Mid control.
Thursday, July 18, 2013
LiveBook AFX wants to make sure you're prepared for whatever happens, whether you're recording an orchestra, DJing a club or doing a major label record from your hotel room. And with this much power, you're adding all the tracks, plug-ins and virtual instruments you need to bring your music to life, any time, anywhere. High speed ports like USB 3.0 and eSATA 3.0 give you streaming up to 6 gigabits per second and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 675M graphics processor makes sure you can score a movie as easily as watching one.
In addition to the complimentary 1 year RainCare Technical Support and Warranty, your Rain also includes a free Rain Ensemble Plug & Play session. During your session you can ask for help with anything outside of the computer. Rain can install your gear, tune your system for the best performance or help with issues that fall into the "grey area" between your computer, software and hardware.
- Powerful Core i7 "Ivy Bridge" quad-core processor and up to 16GB of memory
- Brand new hi-res 15.6" backlit LCD display powered by NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
- Two drives: Solid State Drive and HDD for high speed streaming
- Free Rain Ensemble Plug & Play Session for help with all your gear.
- RainCare Technical Support & Warranty [1 Year]
Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Did I already mention our iPad and iPhone guide that can give you ideas for using your iOS device for making music?
Thursday, July 11, 2013
We have lots of great stands and mounts for iPads, such as the popular TheGigEasy sEris, the versatile HyperPad, and the inexpensive iKlip. However, there are lots of other tablets besides the iPad, and the new Spectrum Universal Table Stand allows you to use virtual any tablet, not just an iPad.
More than just a holder, the Spectrum Universal Table Standis a complete stand system that adjust to hold any 7" to 10" tablet.
- Height adjustable stand with unique patent-pending gooseneck design, allows for maximum reach and positioning
- Locking hub provides 360º positioning of tablet, which allows hands-free viewing
- 4 Weighted feet prevent tipping
- Sturdy, tubular design with easy to assemble instructions
- 1 year Limited Warranty
Tuesday, July 9, 2013
M-Audio M3-8 Speaker
The new M3-8 three way monitors sound and look great! At $299 each, the M3-8 are a great way to move your studio to the pro level at an affordable price.
Step up to superior three-way sound with the M3-8 studio monitor from M-Audio. Savor the improved fidelity, enhanced imaging, and super-wide sweet spot of this exceptional three-way studio monitor as you mix your sessions and laydown tracks. Track and mix with the enhanced accuracy and superior imaging that only a three-way monitor can provide. Using an efficient inline design, the space-saving M3-8 Studio Reference Monitors provide truly spectacular three-way sound in the same space as a standard two-way monitor.
The efficient M3-8 design allows the mid- and high-frequency drivers to be mounted inline. By delivering sound along the same focal plane, the M3-8 speakers deliver improved time-alignment for fatigue-free listening. Lightweight woven Kevlar endows the 8" low-frequency driver and 5" mid-range driver with strength and reliability. The 1" silk dome tweeter offers integrated waveguides to provide increased clarity. In addition to the attractive real wood baffle, the cabinet provides tuned bass porting and optimized internal bracing to produce the highest levels of fidelity.
Three individual amplifiers provide power to each of the three speaker elements. A total of 220 Watts of Class A/B amplification empowers the M3-8 with ample headroom for even the loudest mixes. Finely tuned crossovers deliver rich tonality across the entire frequency spectrum. The powerful three-band EQ—and a switchable low-cut filter—allow you to shape the sound to match your listening environment. Pinhole-mounted blue LEDs provide an easy-to-use visual aide for perfect speaker placement. The result is an outstanding monitor able to perform in the most critical of listening environments.
Monday, July 8, 2013
There are lots of great apps for displaying and organizing sheet music on your tablet
- Use a bluetooth wireless page turners so you can turn pages while playing.
- Invest in a smartphone or tablet stand to easily view your iPad while keep it safe and secure.
- Buy a microphone for recording into your iPad or iPhone.
- You can use your own microphone or record from other devices with one or our soundcards designed for your iPad.
- Guitar player? Check out the cool guitar tools for your iPad or iPhone
- Want to use a MIDI keyboard with your iPad? Check out our list of iPad compatible keyboards!
- Already have a MIDI keyboard or other MIDI device you want to connect? We've got that too.
- DJ? Use your iPad to DJ with these cool devices.
Thursday, July 4, 2013
Black Velvet AdPak
Need another drum kit for Addictive Drums? The new Black Velvet AdPak is a modern classic dressed in black captured with a large, epic sound for only $49.
The Black Velvet ADpak is the sound you always wished you could afford! A modern classic dressed in black captured with a large, epic sound. Created with the grunge/post-grunge era in mind, with roots in alternative rock transcending to an expensive arena rock-band sound, this takes you on a journey from Seattle to LA. This ADpak is made with the highest demands on everything throughout the whole recording chain, capturing the unmistakable raw attitude in a luxurious package.
The included presets covers different clean setups to gritty alternative rock and grunge to slick, expensive and larger-than-life grandness. Black Velvet offers an almost unreal diversity go from a tight, fat and controlled sound to unleashing some kind of monster by just pushing the room fader! Simply put, it’s epic!
A great feature in the Black Velvet ADpak is the ability to creatively control the ambient sound. The recording was divided in two sessions where the drums were recorded in a gymnasium hall sized recording room and the hi-hat and cymbals in a smaller and damped recording room. By altering a few settings or loading presets you can go from tight-and-fat to loud-and-large fast and easy. Automate the settings for a close and tight kit in the verse and gigantic sound in the chorus.
Tuesday, July 2, 2013
I had a lot of fun playing with PitchMap at MusikMesse. It is hard to describe so head over to the "Downloads" tab on the product page and to check out the demo or video on your Mac.
PITCHMAP is the world's first and only plug-in that allows processing the pitch of individual sounds within mixed signals in real-time. It lets you change the melodies and harmonies of any recording by simply playing your own on a MIDI keyboard or creating a pitch map using our stream-lined GUI, and optionally corrects any tuning issues at the same time. As if that weren't enough, PITCHMAP provides functions to remove or extract individual sounds from a mix, and can apply advanced synthesizer-like sound transformations to your audio. In short, it is an inspiring musical instrument, a precision corrective tool and the only processor that literally lets you shape music with your hands.
PITCHMAP has so many uses Zynaptiq has not yet discovered all of them. Here's a couple of the applications Zynaptiq is aware of:
- Engineers can correct tuning inaccuracies in mixed recordings
- Composers can try different harmonies for their works in an immediate, hassle-free and inspiring manner
- Music producers that work with sampled material can now sculpt the music inside the samples as if they were clay in the hands of a potter
- DJs can adapt the key/scale of their songs to fit into a seamless set
- Sound designers get a bunch of unique new ways of creating the sounds that make the films and games of today so immersive
- Mash-Up artists and Re-Mixers now spend minutes instead of hours (or days) adapting the components they use to fit each other
- Rapid song/score prototyping using existing recordings that can be transformed to be something new on-the-fly
- Mix element suppression/isolation under MIDI control
- Creating unique synthesizer sounds based on a live input
- Create instant remixes and professional accompaniment tracks directly from your favorite songs or play list
Certain pitch correction algorithm artifacts have become quite popular. Zynaptiq's got those, too, if you want them. But Zynaptiq's MAP process has more sonic options than that. Zynaptiq's added parameters called Purify and Electrify that allow making your sound more or less synthetic sounding, and threw in a polyphonic Portamento option named Glide, for good measure. In combination with the live MIDI function, these parameters can basically turn PITCHMAP into a unique synthesizer allowing some very far out sound design.
Monday, July 1, 2013
You will receive instructions from Acoustica on how to download the Mixcraft Remote app from the iTunes, Google Play or Amazon App store once you register mixcraft. Enable the Remote App feature within Mixcraft 6 and instantly gain wireless remote control of Mixcraft’s transport controls, playback position, and master volume. Mixcraft 6 Remote’s two-way interface is custom designed to give users the freedom to control Mixcraft 6 remotely.
Mixcraft 6 is a powerful music production and multi-track recording workstation that comes packed with thousands of music loops and dozens of audio effects and virtual instruments. Mixcraft enables you to record audio, arrange loops, remix tracks, compose with MIDI and virtual instruments, add effects, score and edit video, and mix and master your tracks to create polished, professional compositions. Mixcraft is your music production dream come true, instantly turning your computer into a fully-stocked professional recording studio.