Welcome to Kelly's Music & Computers Blog
The latest news, rumours, tips and insights into music technology from Kelly's Music & Computers!
Join one of our monthly newsletters to find out about new products, updates, sales, special promotions and more!
You can also view blog entries prior to 2011.
We've answered over 30,000 questions about music & computers - why not ask us yours?
Thursday, December 27, 2012
- 2 stand-alone channels + 2 full Remix Channels
- Sturdy aluminum chassis, with Innofaders
- Intuitive control of Macro FX, and Flux Mode
TRAKTOR KONTROL Z2 is the world’s first 2+2 DJ control mixer. Built tough for pro club use, the Z2 excels both as a state-of-the-art club mixer alongside turntables and CDJs, and as the hub of an advanced setup of Remix Decks and controllers.
All-new Macro FX and Flux Mode in the latest TRAKTOR software expand your creative arsenal. And the heavy metal, standard installation-height chassis, sturdy RGB control buttons, and Innofaders assure rock-solid dependability. Whatever your style, however you play, welcome to the future of mixing.
Based on industry-standard DJ mixer design, TRAKTOR KONTROL Z2’s DJ-friendly layout is ergonomic and intuitive for uninterrupted flow from the moment you get your hands on it. A spacious control surface with faders, 3-band EQ section and dedicated chunky filter knob per channel – each in exactly the right place – gives you maximum control.
Additional TRAKTOR rotary encoders for Macro FX and Remix Decks are placed in the Kontrol Section alongside Flux Mode buttons for easy access, and multi-colored cue point trigger buttons allow you to jump through and re-edit your tracks in style.
Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Combining the industry-leading design of Numark DJ controllers with the power of your iPad and Algoriddim's djay app, iDJ Pro puts a dock for iPad at the center of its traditional dual-platter setup, giving you access to your iPad’s touchscreen alongside an expanded layout of physical controls: capacitive touch-sensitive platters, large die-cast aluminum volume knobs, a dedicated music-library scroll knob, plus hot cues, looping, pitch and effect controls. Once your iPad is docked, a latching door provides secure and seamless integration, giving you an intuitive, flexible and powerful DJ system.
DJ IN THE CLOUD
Thanks to your iPad’s wireless capability, you'll have access to virtually any song instantly. iDJ Pro empowers you with access to the cloud, allowing you to download tracks and have them pumping in seconds. And with AirPlay and Bluetooth compatibility, you can blast your set wirelessly through AirPlay or Bluetooth speakers. iDJ Pro comes ready to party with professional microphone and external device inputs as well as balanced XLR master outputs.
Monday, December 24, 2012
Thursday, December 20, 2012
Here are some of the many new features:
- New activity: Melodic sight-reading (play or sing a musical phrase as you read it and get instant feedback)
- New activity: Melody playback (play or sing back a musical phrase after hearing it)
- New notation engine with 2 types of notation: classical and jazz
- Addition of a vocal range setting in the exercise setup
- New types of interval and chord executions combining harmonic and melodic playing
- New audio detection algorithm provided by Mu Technologies
- New sound playback engine with possibility to load soundfonts
- Revised questioning engine that adapts to the user's score
- More nuanced feedback on user performance
- New options for note articulations (legato, staccato, sustained)
- New answering interface: Solfege keyboard
- New streamlined user interface
- Fingerboard interface with 2 options: Rosewood and Maple
- New guitar tuner
- Addition of user profiles: Piano or stringed instruments with automatic settings
- And hundreds of many other additions and improvements
- And outside -
Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
We also have the Alva Nanoface on sale. The Nanoface is a popular alternative to RME when you want great quality, but need something inexpensive as it strikes an excellent balance between high end and low price.
The latest version of Notion builds upon Notion's award-winning software foundation with all new possibilities and enhancements. Notion is continuing to redefine the way notation software is used while staying true to the original goals: great playback, a simple easy-to-use interface, great compatibility, and incredible customer service.
Compose, playback, and edit music with a quality and ease of use that must be experienced. No endless level of menus to find what you need. Notion is the most efficient notation product, making it simple to write and edit your ideas quickly.
Notion gives you the best playback of any notation product. Orchestral samples recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios. Guitar samples by Neil Zaza, bass samples by Victor Wooten and drum samples by Roy “Futureman” Wooten.
All samples were painstakingly recorded using the best equipment by top engineers recording an array of dynamics, articulations and performance techniques.
No other product allows you to create a score on your desktop and transfer it to your iPad, where you can continue to edit and playback your music. Now, with Notion you can. If you have Notion and the Notion iPad app, you can send and open scores from each device and continue to work on your score, anywhere, anytime.
Now you can enter notes into Notion with the interactive fretboard, keyboard, and drum pad. Many users find it convenient to first capture their pitches or guitar fingerings on an instrument before translating them into notation or tablature. These interactive entry tools allow for a quick, convenient way to build your score. You can customize the number of guitar strings on the fretboard or the order of entry for each voice for the drum pad. Also, use the chord library to enter the chord name or voicing you want to appear in your score. Choose from standard chord symbols and fretted chord symbols.
Notion’s Sequencer Staff feature is loved by many. Now, there is Sequencer Overlay. This is a feature that allows you to see both notation and its MIDI performance on the same staff. You can edit each individual note’s velocity, duration, start-point and end point by simple click and drag functions. For precise values, you can double click each note and enter in the numeric values as well. With this feature, Notion combines the power of the MIDI sequencer with the clarity of standard notation in a unique and powerful way.
Progression 2 (the "light" version of Notion) has also been released for around 1/2 the price of Notion, but to be honest, since Notion 4 is so inexpensive, you should consider paying extra for the full version.
Friday, December 14, 2012
- Make beats: choose from dozens of killer beats, all designed by the pros, or customize your own
- Record vocals: sing, rap, or freestyle, then add the official T-Pain Effect
- Share: post songs for all to hear, straight to the web via SoundCloud
Thursday, December 13, 2012
EZkeys comes with an extensive MIDI library performed by a professional session pianist. Played with increasing complexity in full song sections and covering all major genres such as Rock, Pop, Country, Gospel, Blues and Funk, this library is not only a creative boost, it’s an untapped source of inspiration for your yet unwritten songs. Drag, drop and lay down the foundation to a track in no time!
EZkeys includes a host of revolutionary and creative songwriting features. Transpose full MIDI tracks on the fly, use the groundbreaking EZkeys Chord Wheel to customize chord voicing and harmonic color with just one mouse-click - and much, much more.
The Ezkeys Upright sound library is a carefully sampled Östlind & Almquist piano and this award winning Swedish brand dates back to late 1800s and delivers a characteristic, rich and warm tone unlike any other instrument of its kind. It was sampled in painstaking detail at a world-class studio using only the best of the best in modern and vintage recording equipment.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
The Studio Bundle is only sale for $399 until the end of the month and includes Alloy, Ozone 4 and Nectar.
For only $549, the Studio & Repair Bundle adds the powerful RX2 audio repair tool to the bundle. If you haven’t heard of RX2 yet, be sure to click on the “Downloads” tab on our RX2 page to request the videos – it is an amazing tool!
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
- Pro Tools 10 Course Clips: Featuring more than five hours of step-by-step, hands-on video tutorials, this DVD is proof positive that learning can be both easy and fun. Watch over the shoulder of a Pro Tools expert, and listen and learn as he walks you through the features and functions of the latest version of this popular, creative software. First you'll check out the features new to version 10, then you'll dive in and learn about the workspace browser, recording, editing, instrument tracks, using plug-ins, Beat Detective, mixing, exporting, and much more.
- Pro Tools 10 Advanced Music Production Techniques: the official Avid Learning Series Expert Level guide to the advanced operation of Pro Tools in a professional music production environment. It includes technical insight into both Pro Tools HD and HDX hardware and software, common workflows, and advanced editing and mixing topics. The materials on the supplemental DVD---sample sessions and source files used in the book’s many exercises and projects---help to reinforce the skills being learned.
- Pro Tools 10 Advanced Post Production Techniques: An official Avid Learning Series Expert Level Guide, Pro Tools 10 Advanced Post Production Techniques is the go-to guide focused on advanced operation of Pro Tools 10 in a professional post-production environment. Today's and tomorrow's post engineers simply must know the ins and outs of this popular software---the industry standard---and this book shows the way. It includes technical insights into Pro Tools hardware and software and offers hands-on exercises, discussion of common workflows, and intermediate-advanced topics, detailing how to use a Pro Tools|HD system to record, edit, mix, and output sound for professional film and video applications.
Monday, December 10, 2012
Applied Acoustics makes some of the best sounding and most playable software synths on the market. Their popular Strum instrument is perfect for adding realistic guitar tracks if you aren't a guitar player, and their Lounge Lizard gives you All the classic electric piano sounds: Rhodes™, Wurlitzer™, RMI™, and Hohner™.
Thursday, December 6, 2012
The book is built around five hands-on projects, including an introduction to the Sibelius 7 interface and basic editing operations; setting up a score and entering notes; importing MIDI, MusicXML, lyrics, and more; creating a worksheet; and scoring video. The learning method is tutorial-based, step-by-step, and visually compelling. The projects in the book are fully integrated with the accompanying tutorial videos and include many helpful screenshots and diagrams. On the companion website are 31 tutorial videos in which the author walks you through every key skill learned in each lesson. In addition, the accompanying CD provides you with all of the resources you need to complete the course in Sibelius, plus five extension projects.
Haven't upgraded to Sibelius 7 yet? The upgrade is on sale until December 31st!
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Monday, December 3, 2012
We are a small company, and our customers mean a lot to us. To show our appreciation, we wanted to invite you to a special sale to celebrate our anniversary.
When I started Kelly's Music & Computers way back in 1997, it was out of a desire to help people use music technology. I couldn't find many companies back then that knew about music & computers. So, while I was a student in my final year of a music education degree, I set out to become an expert and share my knowledge by establishing Kelly's Music & Computers.
A lot has changed since our first website, but I still have the same passion today that I did 15 years ago. Although I'm not teaching in a classroom, I'm still helping to educate our customers every day and I provide on-site and on-line training to help music teachers around the world use music technology . We've answered over 40,000 questions about music & computers. Perhaps that's the key to our success - focusing on helping our customers instead of selling stuff to them.
Of course, selling stuff pays the bills and keeps us in business, so we really appreciate it when you decide to make your purchase through us! It also means a lot to us when you tell your friends about us. We want to be here another 15 years, so we try our best to offer you the best value and service possible. This means no hold times when you call, same day e-mail responses, price matching and our popular "Name Your Price" feature found on our website.
We love hearing from you, so feel free to call or e-mail anytime if you have questions about music technology, or if you just want to share your experiences with our team over the years.
So once again, thank you!
Special anniversary sale - 15% off everything, Tuesday December 4th only!
To show our appreciation to our customers for 15 great years, we are having a one day sale on Tuesday December 4th. Everything will be 15% off the regular price! The discount will apply to our academic pricing.
No discount code is required - the prices shown will be the sale price. Just head to our website on December 4th (or maybe even the evening before...)
We've never done this before, and likely aren't going to again, so be sure to take advantage of this special offer.
Of course there is always fine print... It is very likely we will sell out of popular items and unfortunately, that means you may not get the sale price on that item. We will do our best, but we apologize in advance if we can't ship your order because we ran out of the item. We are a small company, and Laurie, Lorraine, Michelle and I probably won't be able to remove items from the sale that sell out quickly.